Just as more of us take to reading on our electronic devices, so our relationship with books has evolved. Memories of exchanging books with friends, or selling and buying used books at Far East Plaza are fading fast.
Before they are gone forever, why not share your stories of the simple joy of reading with us?
Send in your memories of books and reading and receive an exclusive 2014 old-school “horse” calendar, featuring cherished memories in forms of old photos and trivia such as teacup rides at the Wonderland Amusement Park in the 70s and the Grand Prix along the old Upper Thomson Road in the 60s.
*Terms and conditions apply.
How to Participate:
- Send in your memories of books and reading, based on the weekly themes (in no less than 80 words).
Week 1 (20 Jan to 26 Jan) – Favourite place to read
Week 2 (27 Jan to 2 Feb) – My favourite book
Week 3 (3 Feb to 9 Feb) – Books that moved me
Week 4 (12 Feb to 18 Feb) – My comic collection
Week 5 (19 Feb to 25 Feb) – Singaporean novels
[Extended] Week 6 (26 Feb to 4 Mar) – Children’s books
[Extended] Week 7 (5 Mar to 11 Mar) –My favourite bookstore
- Email your memories to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title: “Books that moved me”. Remember to include your full name and mailing address.
- Check your mail box for the 2014 calendar (Please allow us two weeks after your submission to receive the calendar).
Terms and Conditions:
1) This giveaway is open to all Singapore citizens and permanent residents.
2) Submission of entries must be made by 11 March 2014, 2359 hrs via email.
3) Entries received after the deadline will not be accepted.
4) Multiple submissions of different memories are allowed.
5) Entrants must provide full name and completed mailing address in order for us to mail the calendar over.
6) Calendar will be given away for all submissions that satisfy the theme given each week, while stocks last. NLB has the right to reject or deny any entry if deemed unsuitable.
7) All entries must be original and written by the individual. NLB does not accept plagiarism.
8) For all content, contributors will grant to NLB, the perpetual non-exclusive worldwide licence to digitise, make available to third party(s) and/or members of the public via the Internet and/or successive technologies for downloading, printing and grant the Singapore Memory Project (SMP) and the National Library Board, Singapore (NLB) the right to reproduce and republish content in any formats and platforms; for internal and external uses and for non-commercial purposes. The afore stated licence grants NLB right to sub-licence for non-commercial use the contents at NLB’s sole discretion and on such terms as NLB may impose on the users. Such non-commercial use includes but is not limited to, use for personal enjoyment, private study and research purposes and/or posting of all content item(s).
9) NLB has the right to amend these terms and conditions and/or cancel the giveaway without prior notice to any person.
10) By submitting your entry, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agree to these terms and conditions.