Click here for a downloadable PDF of SMP Memory Kit Questions and Guides.
For Intergenerational Conversations
CHILDHOOD AND SCHOOLDAYS
- When and where were you born?
- Where did you live during your childhood years?
- What is your happiest memory of your childhood? Your saddest memory?
- What are your favourite childhood memories of food?
- What are your favourite memories of family celebrations?
- What are your fond memories of family holidays or outings?
- What games did you love to play during your childhood and teenage years?
- What was a hardest moment of your life?
- What is the proudest moment of your life?
- What are the important values that you have learnt from your parents or grandparents?
- Who has been the biggest influence in your life?
- What are the hopes and dreams for your future?
- What were the names of your school/s? In which years were you studying there?
- Describe your feelings on your first day of school.
- What was your favourite subject/lesson in school? Why was it a favourite?
- Who taught this subject?
- What are your fondest memories of your school activities?
- Describe your proudest achievement in your schooldays.
- Who were your favourite teachers? Why were they your favourite?
- Who were your best friends? What did you use to do together? Do you still keep in touch with your best friends?
- Share your happiest or an unforgettable memory of your schooldays.
MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
- How did you get to know your wife/husband?
- Where did you use to go to for dates? How did you propose?
- Where and when was your wedding held?
- Describe the wedding traditions that you observed?
- Where did you live after the wedding?
- How many children do you have?
- What are some of the favourite activities and outings for you and your family?
- What were the happiest moments? What were the most challenging moments?
- What does your family mean to you?
CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS
- Share about a traditional festival or event that your family celebrate.
- When do you celebrate this festival or event?
- What traditions are observed by your family observe during this festival or event? What do these traditions mean to you?
- What special food dishes does your family prepare? Who prepares them? How are they prepared?
- Is the celebration done differently now? How is it different?
- How many jobs have you had since you started work?
- What were they?
- Which was your first job? When did you start work at this job?
- How old were you then?
- What did you do in this job?
- What was the pay like in those days?
- What was your workplace look like?
- Can you describe your bosses and colleagues?
- What were some of the most interesting or memorable incidents from your working life?
- What are important lessons learnt in your work life?
- Who has been the biggest influence in your work life?
LEISURE AND ENTERTAINMENT
- How do you spend your leisure time?
- What type of entertainment did you enjoy when you were growing up?
- Where would your family or friends go to for entertainment during your growing-up years?
- What movies do you remember watching?
- Where did you go to for movies?
- Can you describe the places or cinemas where you watched these movies?
- What do you remember of your first TV set?
- What television programmes do you remember?
- Where did you watch these television programmes?
- Which were your favourite radio stations?
- What radio programmes do you remember?
- Who were your favourite TV/radio personalities?
- When do you normally listen to these programmes?
- What type of music did you enjoy in your younger days? When compared to now, has your taste in music change?
THE PLACE WE USED TO LIVE IN
- Can you describe the neighbourhood where you grew up?
- In which years were you living there?
- How did your family come to live there?
- Describe the house where you spent your growing up years. Who else lived in the house?
- What other members of your family lived in the same neighbourhood?
- Who were the prominent personalities in your neighbourhood?
- How was the relationship between neighbours?
- What did the neighbours do for a living?
- What kind of gatherings did you have with the neighbours?
- When did you move away from this place?
- Why did you have to move?
- Who were your closest friends in your growing-up years?
- What games did you use to play? What other activities did you use to do together?
- Which were the favourite hangout places for you and your friends?
THE PLACE WE LIVE IN NOW
- Where do you live now?
- How long have you been living here?
- Who do you live with?
- Why did you choose to live here?
- Describe what the neighbourhood was like when you first moved in.
- What were the outstanding landmarks?
- What are the new iconic landmarks now?
- What has been some of the significant changes in this area over the years?
- Are there particular eateries that you love? Which are the well-known or popular eateries?
- Which places do you frequent most in the different stages of your life eg. adult, teenage years, etc.
- What are your happiest memories of living here?
- What are the significant moments of your life here?
- What makes you proud to be a resident here?
Download a printable version of the questions above: